Essential Emergency Kit and
What It Should Include:
A first aid kit is a helpful and important item in homes and for outdoor adventures.
- It contains a set of medical supplies and other items for medical emergency. Homes should have a first aid kit.
- Useful items that can be used in treating wounds, bruises or injuries. Bandages and dressings are the common items.
- Dressings should be sterile when they are used to protect wounds.
- Gauze roller bandages, adhesive bandages, triangular bandages and elastic bandages are types of items that can be applied to secure a dressing.
- Nevertheless, popular less-costly adhesive bandages with dressing such as Band-Aids.
- Medications may range from antibiotics or antiseptics to painkillers. Alcohol, povidone iodine, benzalkonium chloride and antibiotic ointment are antiseptic substances to be applied on wounds and cuts.
- Ointments and lotions used to relieve skin itchiness.
- Painkillers and antihistamine.
- Medications to treat skin disorders and problems such as aloe vera gel, burn gel, and petroleum jelly.
- Items that are used to treat snakebites and motion sickness should be included.
- Activated charcoal and syrup of ipecac are medications that can be used to treat poisons.
- Splint, personal protective equipment such as gloves and CPR mask, space blanket, thermometer, BP instrument, hand sanitizer, tweezers, irrigation syringe, rubber suction bulb and trauma shears.
Without these tools, tackling emergencies can prove to be quite a challenge.
A Shake-Up Flashlight
An important tool that everyone must possess in order to handle emergency situations is a shake-up flashlight. A shake-up flash-light does not require a battery to function. You need to shake it for an approximate of thirty seconds for it to emit light. This makes it a perfect tool for emergencies as it functions greatly and can be bought at a very cheap price.
Every room in your house must have a shake-up flashlight for emergency situations. It is also advised to keep a flash-light in your car to aid you if your car ever breaks down in the middle of nowhere.
A hammer is one other tool that you must own to handle emergencies. However, an ordinary hammer will not suffice. For emergency situations, you must have a hammer that has extremely sharp edges. Only a hammer with very sharp ends can sever seat belts in case of car accidents. Your hammer should also be able to break all sorts of window glass. This will allow you to evacuate as soon as possible if the need ever arises.
A Portable Radio
In case of weather-related emergencies, one of the most important tools to possess is a weather radio. In case a hurricane or a flood is likely to occur, the weather radio will provide regular alerts and updates regarding the whole situation so you can plan accordingly. If you do not have an idea of exactly how much danger you should expect, you will be unable to take the appropriate safety measures.
In a nutshell, there are a number of important tools that can come in handy during emergency situations. It is always useful to have sufficient tools to get you through all sorts of disasters, whether man-made or natural.
Taking precautionary steps is, after all, better than suffering the full impact of a disaster that could also prove fatal. Therefore, make a check-list of all the tools that you feel are important for your safety and purchase them to be well-prepared for an emergency situation that quickly arrives unexpectedly.